Where to Get Foreclosure Help

With all the dubious assistance programs and out-right scams preying on home owners facing foreclosure, it can be difficult to find legitimate help.

Here’s a list of programs that are either operated by the U.S. government or have its seal of approval:

* To find a counselor, contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at (800) 569-4287 or (877) 483-1515, or go to www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hccprof14.cfm

* Call (888) 995-HOPE, the Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline to reach a nonprofit, HUD-approved counselor through HOPE NOW, a cooperative effort of mortgage counselors and lenders to assist homeowners.

* Visit NeighborWorks America’s Web site at www.nw.org/network/home.asp

* Go to this Web site for information on federal mortgage modification and refinancing programs: www.makinghomeaffordable.gov

* The Controller of the Currency’s consumer information site for banking-related questions is www.helpwithmybank.gov

* OCC Customer Assistance Group and consumer assistance site: www.occ.gov/customer.htm

* Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/homes/rea04.shtm

* Federal Reserve Board: www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/foreclosurescamtips/default.htm

* NeighborWorks America: http://www.nw.org

* HOPE NOW: www.hopenow.com
Source: Controller of the Currency (04/21/2009)

There are no comments yet. Be the first and leave a response!

Leave a Reply

Wanting to leave an <em>phasis on your comment?

Trackback URL http://westchestercountyhomenews.com/where-to-get-foreclosure-help/trackback/